Mexican Chicken and Black Bean Casserole

I've been home with my son for a year now, and I still struggle to get dinner prepped and on the table with a little monkey running around the kitchen. More often that not, we feed Little B something quick and easy and then Hubs and I sit down for dinner in front of the TV after B is in bed. Not exactly the family dinners I dream about. So, I'm always on the lookout for make-ahead meals that I can assemble during nap time and then stick in the oven when Hubs is on his way home from work.

I came across a great recipe on the Picky Palate blog that I adapted for our family. It was delicious as written, but I made a few changes to make it a bit more healthful. Enjoy!



Mexican Chicken and Black Bean Casserole


Ingredients:
(4) servings of brown rice, prepared according to package instructions
(2) chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
(1) 15 oz. can of diced tomatoes with green chiles
1/2 c. light sour cream
1/4 c. fat free plain Greek yogurt
1/2 c. Verde enchilada sauce
(1) 15 oz. can of black beans, drained
1 c. shredded reduced fat cheese (like Weight Watchers Mexican cheese)


In a large bowl, combine chicken, diced tomatoes, sour cream, Greek yogurt, and enchilada sauce. Stir to combine. Spread cooked rice in the bottom of a 13x9 inch baking dish that has been sprayed with Pam. Layer black beans evenly on top of rice. Spread chicken mixture evenly over black beans, and top with cheese.

You may cook it immediately at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes, or refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Remove from fridge and bring to room temp before baking. Enjoy!




Comments

Popular Posts