Fall Yummies

I live in the hot, humid South. I love it here, don't get me wrong, but there's something so odd about seeing reports of snow in other parts of the country while it remains 80 degrees here. It's a gorgeous time of year, regardless. Usually October is dry and sunny, and far more bearable than August and September which are typically still insanely muggy. Alas, now that November is here, it's finally starting to feel like fall! The view from my living room makes me so happy. I love our yard (we literally bought this house because we fell in love with the lot), and the fall colors are vivid. I am successfully overlooking the fact that there is a layer 6 inches deep of leaves covering our deck, patio and lawn.  Poor Hubs. He's traveling (again) for work, and I know he's not looking forward to raking those leaves when he comes home later this weekend! I try to help, but Little B's not such a big fan of yard work, so I'm really only helpful when B's napping. 


Anyways. As if I could encourage the cool fall weather to stick around, I went to the market yesterday and stocked up on some of my fave fall things. 


Apple cider. To me, nothing says fall like apple cider. And when you heat it on the stove with some mulling spices the entire house smells incredible. It's my favorite thing to serve when we have friends over in the fall and winter. 80% of my girlfriends are nursing or preggers, so we don't hit the bottle quite like we used to! Hot apple cider is a great alternative to cocktails...festive & yummy! You can heat and serve it in a crock pot. Set out a little tray next to the crockpot with a ladle for serving, cute mugs (channel your inner Martha and put a cinnamon stick in each mug), and a decanter of rum for those who like a little adult in their beverage.


Butternut squash. It even LOOKS like fall! Yes, it is a bitch to peel and chop, but it is so good AND so good for you. (I've heard that some grocers offer butternut squash pre-peeled and chopped. If I could find one of said grocers, I would happily pay a million dollars a pound.) One of Hubs' fave things I make is Butternut Squash Soup. It's easy, though a bit time consuming since you have to chop the damn squash  and later blend the soup in batches, but well worth your while. I'm making a pot today - will post the recipe later this weekend! 

Comments

Popular Posts