Yogurt Berry Smoothie










I hate yogurt.

Like, REALLY dislike it. It’s a texture thing. I know how healthful it is. And I’m all about the protein, calcium, B vitamins, potassium, and magnesium. I try to eat it, but it just grosses me out.

Lately, I’ve been hearing a lot about the probiotics in yogurt. Turns out, not only are they good for your belly, but they are also essential in preventing yeast infections & thrush while breastfeeding. So, for the sake of my baby boy (and my boobs) I am attempting to eat more yogurt.

Since eating it plain just ain’t gonna work for me, I’m having to get creative. After some experimenting, I think I’ve perfected the Yogurt Berry Smoothie. I should warn you, however, Hubs thinks this smoothie is too tart. If you’re with Hubs, try adding honey or substituting a banana for some of the berries.

Note that there are enough calories in this smoothie to make it qualify as a main portion of your breakfast. I drink mine alongside a piece of whole wheat toast smeared with natural almond butter. Delish.

You can experiment with whatever berries you have on hand. Frozen mango, peaches and pineapple also work...but they’re not as low in sugar or as high in antioxidants.

Unrelated Tangent: I always keep a supply of organic frozen fruit in the freezer. It makes for great last minute desserts (serve over frozen yogurt), toppings for whole wheat waffles, even yummy cocktails! Make sure you buy fruit with no sugar added...not the kind that’s soaked in sugary syrup.


Yogurt Berry Smoothie
Ingredients:
4 or 5 large frozen strawberries
small handful frozen blueberries
¼ c. orange juice
¼ c. nonfat Greek yogurt (such as Fage or Oikos)
Sprinkle of fiber powder (I like Benefiber)
1/2 scoop of vanilla protein powder (I like the Aria brand, see below)


Instructions
Dump all ingredients into your blender and blend until smooth. You may have to tweak the amount of OJ to get the consistency you want.







































Here's a link to the Aria Women's Protein I like. It adds a little thickness and a touch of sweetness to my smoothies, plus lots of protein! 

Comments

Popular Posts